Re: Power cut and performance problem

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Daniel Caune <daniel(dot)caune(at)ubisoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Power cut and performance problem
Date: 2006-03-21 15:49:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Daniel Caune wrote:

> For example, the execution of the following query is fast as it used to
> be (gslog_event_id is the primary key on gslog_event):
>
> select max(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event; (=> Time: 0.773 ms)
>

> while the following query is really slow (several minutes):
>
> select min(gslog_event_id) from gslog_event; (index on the primary key
> is taken)
>

> I'm not a hardware expert at all, but I supposed that the whole
> performance would be degraded when a problem occurs with RAID disks. Am
> I wrong? Could it be something else? Are there some tools that check
> the state of a PostgreSQL database?

You would be correct, a hardware problem should manifest itself on both those
queries. What is the explain analyze output of those two queries? It's
possible you have a corrupt index on gslog_event. If that's the case, a
reindex would likely remedy the problem. Is postgres logging any errors?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/