Re: Access Problem After Version Upgrade

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access Problem After Version Upgrade
Date: 2006-01-26 17:13:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Sean Davis wrote:

> You did start the server? Did you fix the pg_hba.conf file? Does your
> postgresql.conf file allow tcp connections? Those are the places I would
> look.

Sean,

Thank you.

Yes, the server is running:
21839 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

I don't know what needs fexing in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf. It has:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust

which should cover both socket and tcp connections, if I understand
correctly.

The header of postgresql.conf says that the commented options are defaults,
and the connections section has:

# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION

# - Connection Settings -

#listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
# comma-separated list of addresses;
# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
#port = 5432
max_connections = 100
# note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per
# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction). You
# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2
#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777 # octal
#bonjour_name = '' # defaults to the computer name

# - Security & Authentication -

#authentication_timeout = 60 # 1-600, in seconds
#ssl = off
#password_encryption = on
#db_user_namespace = off

Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"