Re: \d on database with a lot of tables is slow

From: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \d on database with a lot of tables is slow
Date: 2005-10-01 00:04:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> ERROR: cache lookup failed for relation 1906465919
>
> It is on an exact table name. When we retry the describe on a failure,
> sometimes it works and sometimes it fails again. When it fails again
> the relation number is different. Also, \d schema.table always returns
> quickly and never errors. \d table is slow and produces the error fairly
> often.
>
> They're using 8.0.x; I'm pretty certain it's 8.0.3.

We have the exact same problem on a 7.4.5 database. Some basic info on the
database: psql's \d returns 424 rows, and the on-disk size of the database
is about 11 GB. A standalone \dt throws the same occasional error.

I've suspected that it may be caused by ongoing periodic (at least once an
hour) rebuilding of certain generated tables with TRUNCATE and then INSERT
INTO the_table SELECT ... inside a transaction. But I don't have any proof
of that; it's just the most obvious different thing going on compared to
other databases we have.

It does seem like I've encountered the error less often since increasing
the max_fsm_pages setting and thus had more effective VACUUM and less
pg_class bloat, but OTOH I trained myself not to do \d there very often
either, since it was so slow and failed so often, so that may be
coincidence. :)

Jon

--
Jon Jensen