drop database / create database / data still here ?

From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch(at)ccmr(dot)cornell(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: drop database / create database / data still here ?
Date: 2010-04-13 18:16:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Folks,

I thought I understood how this worked, but now it's baffling me.
I want to drop a database named coral from my test server and load
a fresh dump of it from my production server. This has worked when
I've done it before, but now it's giving me fits. Here's an
example:

coral=# \c postgres
You are now connected to database "postgres".
postgres=# drop database coral;
DROP DATABASE
postgres=# create database coral;
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \c coral
You are now connected to database "coral".
coral=# \dt *.*
List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner
--------------------+--------------------------------+-------+----------
accmgr | acct_rate | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_rate_working | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_sum | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_sum_raw | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_sum_whatif | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_sum_working | table | accmgr
accmgr | acct_temp | table | accmgr
accmgr | eq_rate | table | accmgr
accmgr | eq_rate_working | table | accmgr
accmgr | inventory_rate | table | accmgr
accmgr | inventory_rate_working | table | accmgr
accmgr | inventory_surcharge | table | accmgr
(115 rows)

And likewise, select will pull up data from what I thought was a
brand new, empty database. The coral server was stopped before I
did this so there should have been no active connections at the
time.

This is with:

PostgreSQL 8.1.18 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)

-Mitch