Re: Restoring database question..

From: arsi(at)aranzo(dot)netg(dot)se
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring database question..
Date: 2006-08-19 09:59:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi there,

>> My question is as follows, is it possible to simply copy the data files
>> to their correct location and getting access to the databases as they
>> looked at the time of the hacking attempt?
>> I should have the exact same setup before the hack as after, no version
>> changes or anything.
>
> If the database was running when the files were backed up, then just copying
> them over is very unlikely to work.

The thing is, there was no backup. The machine was hacked and someone did
an 'rm -rf *' on / and I don't know if it removed the postgres program
first or the datafiles first, nor do I know if that matters.

Also, the main data files also exist (I copied the data folder to its
correct place as the restoring technique), I can select from the actual
data, only the pg_* tables seem to be missing since I can't dump the
database or do \d on any tables.

Archie