Restoring database question..

From: arsi(at)aranzo(dot)netg(dot)se
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restoring database question..
Date: 2006-08-12 17:58:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I have a problem. My server got hacked and someone did an rm -rf * on the
/home and /var folders. The backups to my database were not as fresh as
they should be but I have been able to recover all the files that existed
before the rm from the old harddrive, including the files located in the
data folder for postgres.

My question is as follows, is it possible to simply copy the data files
to their correct location and getting access to the databases as they
looked at the time of the hacking attempt?
I should have the exact same setup before the hack as after, no version
changes or anything.

Or do I simply have to count my losses and restore from an old backup??

I have a Debian Linux (stable) and the Postgres version is 7.4.

Thanks in advance,
Archie