Re: BUG #2085: pg_dump incompletely dumps ACLs

From: David J N Begley <d(dot)begley(at)uws(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2085: pg_dump incompletely dumps ACLs
Date: 2005-12-04 04:04:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> The latter is not really a bug. Languages don't currently have owners
> (ie there is no owner column in pg_language). For ACL-munging purposes

The true behaviour of the ACL may be somewhat unusual - understood (after all,
I admitted at the outset that the use of the "{}" ACLs could seem strange).

> and the privileges aren't going to be enforced against him anyway. So
> the fact that pg_dump doesn't process that part of the ACL isn't very
> meaningful.

True, though that could have unintended side effects in future as certain
details (ACLs or whatever) are lost/modified as a database is dumped/restored
between different PostgreSQL versions (something that was a no-op before
suddenly creates problems a newer version due to feature changes/additions).

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this - my whole concern was just
that the doco-set user expectations be met by the dump tools in reality (ie.,
if a whole database dump is requested, then everything is restored in the
destination cluster).

Thanks again..