Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric(at)fhcrc(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP
Date: 2004-07-21 19:43:30
Lists: pgsql-odbc

hi dave,

i like manual approaches ... gives me a chance to see more precisely what
might be going awry.

ok, i used the uninstaller from the 'Add/Remove Programs' Control Panel.
That resulted in the registry entries disappearing, but the three files in
c:\windows\system32 were still there ... so i deleted them.

then, i copied psqlodbc.dll from the psqlodbc-07_05_0001.zip file to
c:\windows\system32. and double-clicked on the reg file to import it into
the registry. now, i can see a 'PostgresSQL' key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
APILevel REG_SZ 1
ConnectFunctions REG_SZ YYN
Driver REG_SZ PSQLODBC.DLL
DriverODBCVer REG_SZ 03.00
FileUsage REG_SZ 0
Setup REG_SZ PSQLODBC.DLL
SQLLevel REG_SZ 1
UsageCount REG_SZ 0x00000001 (1)

and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
PostGresSQL REG_SZ Installed

and of course the file itself:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>dir psql*
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 2CC5-AF5A

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

07/21/2004 08:38 AM 356,352 psqlodbc.dll
1 File(s) 356,352 bytes
0 Dir(s) 2,326,204,416 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>

but ... the GUI tool still doesn't display a 'PostGres' choice, when i
click on the 'Drivers' tab.

if you can think of another approach, do let me know. but i'm guessing
that you have offered me all your tricks ... in any case, thank you for
your efforts on my behalf!

i've been wanting to use visio to document the schema in my postgres
databases ... i like visio and use it frequently for other tasks. but i
bet that other tools exist, perhaps in the Unix world -- i'll go hunting
for them.

--sk