remove lock protection on HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: remove lock protection on HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum
Date: 2006-06-06 02:35:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

Attached is a patch to remove the lock protection for
HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum() in index code. The basic idea is: if we can do
a pin/lock/unlock sequence on a page, then without locking again, we are
gauranteed that there is no vacuum process acting on the same page.
According to buffer pool access rule #4, we then can examine/change the
hints bit safely.

Regards,
Qingqing

Attachment Content-Type Size