Re: Recovery will take 10 hours

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recovery will take 10 hours
Date: 2006-04-21 01:15:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Brendan Duddridge wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Hmm... ktrace -p PID -c returns immediately without doing anything
> unless I've previously done a ktrace -p PID.
>
> According to the man page for ktrace's -c flag:
> -c Clear the trace points associated with the specified file
> or processes.

On other systems, strace/truss with -c produces a list of sys calls with
the number of times they've been called in the elapsed period.

To answer your other question, temporarily disabling fsync during the
recovery should speed it up.

For future reference, processing thousands of WAL files for recovery is
not ideal. You should be doing a base backup much more often.

Gavin