Re: EINTR error in SunOS

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EINTR error in SunOS
Date: 2005-12-31 22:21:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Greg Stark wrote:

> Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
>

> > Is that by default the EINTR is truned off in NFS? If so, I don't see that
> > will be a problem. Sorry for my limited knowledge, is there any
> > requirements/benefits that people turn on EINTR?
>
> That's why the "intr" option (and the "soft") option has traditionally not
> been enabled by default in NFS implementations. But many people don't like
> that when their NFS server disappears their client applications become
> unkillable. They like to be able to hit C-c and stop whatever is running.

Thanks Greg and Martin, I now understand better of intr :-) So we can
killed Postgres or not depends on our signal handler. Query Cancel signal
won't work because "ImmediateInterruptOK" forbids it and the retry style
code in read/write will put the Postgres process into uninterruptable
sleep again. But die signal will work I think.

Regards,
Qingqing