Re: perceived absence of work on website

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: perceived absence of work on website
Date: 2004-10-28 23:28:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Alexey,
>
> > Some of the hoops to jump through: pgsql-www list is not open for
> > subscriptions. I didn't understand this back then and don't understand it
> > now: if pgsql-hackers can be open, why pgsql-www can't?
>
> It is open, now. We just discussed it last week, when Robert wanted to close
> it.
>
> > The moral of the story is obvious: we need an easily accessible page with
> > info on how to contribute and info on current website development.
>
> Well, Web Designer, you know what to do ...
>
> Overall, though, it would make a big difference if one of the corporations
> sponsoring PG decided to fund a part-time dedicated web developer.

I disagree (this is my opinion - I work 2 days a week with Fujitsu). There
are at least two reasons why: almost every other successful open source
project -- which is run by volunteers, not companies viz. MySQL -- has
anything from an adequate to impressive web presence; and, how can we have
SRA, Fujitsu, CommandPrompt, PostgreSQL inc, etc, *run* our web presence
and not be conflicted (even if its only a perceived conflict)? Sure, the
developer could be required to run designers/changes/content by www but
then we'd have the same problem as we do now.

The fact is, I already worked with a professional Web development/graphics
development company to redo our web presence for free (at the beginning
of the year). Web scared them off! :-(

Gavin