Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1
Date: 2004-10-07 14:07:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

[snip]

> Of course, this is as true of functions as it will be of procedures. So half
> the functionality that I'm angling for to support with calling named params
> could be accomplished within the context of overloading just by extending the
> named param patch in 8.0 to cover calling functions/SPs in the format above.

We cannot use named parameter notation with functions due to overloading.
Disregarding the idea of default values, consider:

create function foo(i int, j int) ...
create function foo(j int, i int) ...

If we did:

SELECT foo(j => 1, i => 2)

we would have two candidate functions. So, AFAICT, we cannot used named
parameters with functions. :-(

Gavin