Re: Array elements (urgent help needed)

From: Akbar Mokhtarani <akbarm(at)slac(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: Brett Schwarz <brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Array elements (urgent help needed)
Date: 2004-10-04 04:15:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Yes the result from PQgetvalue is a char*. I looked at the array.h and
used the ArrayType structure defined there to walk through the memory
area. The first 4 bytes gives you the dimension of the array, the second 8
bytes are not used and the third 6 bytes gives the number of elements, and the
rest are 4 bytes pointers to the data type stored in the array.
Using this I was
able to parse arrays of int, double, and char BUT not string. This worked
fine on a cluster of intel based machines. However, when I moved the code
to another intel based machine, the program crashed. I have not been able
to parse the memory on this machine. It is an AMD processor which should
be the same as intel processor.
This made me believe that there must be a better way of doing this without
knowing the intenal structure of the memory.

Akbar Mokhtarani