Re: BUG #1236: still in use tablespaces can be removed

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1236: still in use tablespaces can be removed
Date: 2004-08-30 07:44:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom,

> > Suggested fix: create some empty file in the directory
> > if it is used by a namespace.
>
> This was discussed and rejected before --- the problem is not worth the
> amount of mechanism that would have to be added to fix it this way.
> See the pghackers archives, but I believe the main problem is that a
> namespace is not a table and so none of the mechanisms that support file
> creation/deletion will work with it.

I just made a small suggestion on how to fix it, and I agree that it
may not be appropriate. I just seemed a simple solution wrt to how
pg decides how the tablespace may be removed.

As for reading the pghackers history on tablespace, I guess that beta is
for testing the software and reporting issues. So I spend some time
testing new features, and if there is a problem I report it. If you thing
the problem is not worth solving, well, I've made my part by testing and
reporting it!

From what I've seen aboutt tablespaces, it seems to me that the
implementation is just NOT finished, whether beta freeze or not. This
means that anyone that who will use this feature in 8.0 will run into
these issues.

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr