Re: ALTER INDEX

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER INDEX
Date: 2004-08-20 05:32:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> > No, but it is a missing capability many will complain about. I can
> > easily remove it. I saw no one comment when I added it to the patches
> > queue.
>
> I hadn't seen you add it to the patches queue ...
>
> I did see Gavin's submission but did not yet have time to look at the
> details. What does it *do* exactly --- simply allow INDEX as a
> substitute for TABLE in the syntax, or more? I'm not thrilled at the
> idea of adding a lot of duplicate coding for this.

I tried to avoid any duplication. The patch still uses all the ALTER TABLE
code. Its just a grammar modification and some setting of completion tags.

That being said, I felt obliged to provide at patch when I started hearing
noise about ALTER TABLE <index name> being a bit of a hack -- which it is.

Gavin