Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-18 22:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> >[snip]

> >>I just need to know what to add to the TODO list, and so we can answer
> >>people who are going to ask for this functionality. Added to TODO:
> >>
> >> * Allow reporting of which objects are in which tablespaces
> >>

> >Do we need an information_schema.tablespaces view as well as an update to
> >information_schema.{tables|indexes|...} ?
> >

> I checked this to implement it, and found it being less then trivial
> when *all* objects of a tablespace should be displayed, not just the
> ones in the current database.

I don't think we should try and show all objects for a tablespace in
information_schema. That, as you point out, is hard and possibly gets
users into some messy situations.

Being able to list all objects in a tablespace, including which databases
they are in, is clearly useful, however (eg: hunting down use of a give
tablespace that you want dropped). Sounds like a script in contrib (or the
main source tree?) to me.

Gavin