Re: pg_dump --comment?

From: Jon Jensen <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Chris Campbell <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --comment?
Date: 2004-05-28 14:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > I've encountered a situation where I'd like to store some information
> > about the database when I do a pg_dump. For instance, the timestamp of
> > the dump. And some other information that I pull from the database.
>
> I think every dump should dump the timestamp regardless...

That would cause me a lot of trouble. Every night I do a pg_dump on all my
databases to a temporary file. Then I use cmp to compare that dump to last
night's dump. If they're identical I just delete the new dump so that only
the old one remains, with its original timestamp. That way rsync doesn't
see any change, and doesn't waste any time comparing it when we do
backups. It's also handy to see the last day the dump changed by looking
at the file's timestamp.

Granted, this is only of interest on databases that don't change at all,
but on a multi-user system we have a surprising number of databases that
don't change at all for days (alongside the ones that change all the time,
of course).

However, I would like to see an option to include the timestamp if someone
wants it.

Jon