Re: BUG #1150: grant options not properly checked

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #1150: grant options not properly checked
Date: 2004-05-11 14:17:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom,

> > It seems that GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA does not properly
> > check for grantor rights.
>
> What's happening is that pg_namespace_aclcheck() allows the operation
> if you have GRANT OPTION for *any* of the rights to be granted. The
> same problem exists for all object types.

I did not had time to go to the source code, but I thought it was likely
to be a generic bug.

> I am not sure whether we should refuse the operation or just narrow
> the set of privileges to those that are grantable per GRANT OPTION.
> Peter, any thoughts?

I'm not Peter, but I have an answer anyway: the standard says it should be
narrowed.

ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003 (E)
12.3 <privileges>
Syntax Rules
1) ALL PRIVILEGES is equivalent to the specification of all of the
privileges on <object name> for which the <grantor> has grantable
privilege descriptors.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr