Re: pg ANY/SOME ambiguity wrt sql standard?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg ANY/SOME ambiguity wrt sql standard?
Date: 2004-04-28 13:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It seems to me that there is a syntax ambiguity with ANY and SOME:
>
> CREATE TABLE bla(b BOOL);
> SELECT TRUE = ANY(b) FROM bla;
>
> Is parsed as an array-operator and there is a semantical error because no
> array is provided. Now ANY could be an aggregate function call, and it
> should be fine.

Well, it is not that fine, because allowing ANY and SOME as function name
generates a lot of conflicts, obviously.

The reverse (let us recognize an array expression in an function call
wouldn't work either, as the parser need the special handling of ANY/SOME
in order to look for subselects.

> Thus I'm afraid that I'll have to rewrite the A_Expr structure into a
> FuncCall to 'any' or 'some' somewhere.
> Comments? Any better idea?

So my question is "Any idea?" instead of "Any better idea?" :-(

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr