bitwise and/or aggregate functions?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: bitwise and/or aggregate functions?
Date: 2004-04-27 16:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear hackers,

still in the spirit of "it may be useful to others, as it was to me, and
it does cost very little", and before submitting a small patch and being
exploded because it is obviously very stupid:

Would it be appropriate to contribute BIT_AND and BIT_OR aggregates
for integer types, with some documentation and minimal validation?
There has been a discussion recently on pgsql-general about that.

1) mysql has them... it seems to be an argument here around sometimes;-)
it is in their proud list-of-features that it has and that postgresql
does not have.

2) each declaration is a 4-line "CREATE AGGREGATE", the underlying
functions being already available for & and | operators.

3) I know that one can add them if they are needed, but what
would be the point of NOT providing such simple features, and
having the basic user to have to learn about creating aggregate
functions and browse a long time in the documentation for that?

I needed them for some application: I'm happy I know how to add them now,
but I would have been even happier if I had found them just available
without having to learn about these intesting details about postgresql
extensions.

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr