Re: Fwd: Re: [PERFORM] MySQL vs PG TPC-H benchmarks

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [PERFORM] MySQL vs PG TPC-H benchmarks
Date: 2004-04-22 08:55:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>

> > > Perhaps one of the advocay team will pick up the batton?
> > He is using COPY to load the data...I can't think of any earthly reason
> > why it takes > 1d to load 10gb data...probabaly all boils down to
> > default shared buffer setting. I don't even really consider this
> > 'optimizing', just basic configuring to match the software to the
> > machine.
>
> The indexes should be created after the data is loaded. There is no
> mention of VACUUM, ANALYZE or tuning.
>
> I've generated the work load over night and am going to have a quick look
> at it when I get a minute.

With a 10 GB work load on an old Duron, 512 MB ram, IDE disk, it took 30
odd minutes to load the data and 9 hours to load indexes. Unfortunately
I'm out of disk! I'll run the 1 GB work load instead when I get some time
but I can imagine that an ANALYZE will make a dramatic different to those
query times.

Gavin