with vs without oids in pg_catalog.*

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: with vs without oids in pg_catalog.*
Date: 2004-03-30 13:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear hackers,

I'm still trying to play with pg_catalog relations.

I notice that some tables in pg_catalog have oids, and some do not have
them (e.g. pg_attribute, pg_group, pg_shadow...). Also convenient
user-oriented views could reproduce the oid of their parent table
(e.g. pg_user if pg_shadow had an oid).

This situation makes referencing such elements a little bit inhomogeneous.

Is there a strong backend rational behind these missing features,
or would it be possible to suggest some additions in this area?

I may imagine some behind the seen updates which could need to be updated,
but I cannot seen any major reason why this could not and should not be
done...

So my question is : would it be reasonnable to submit a new "posgres.bki"
version, by dropping some "without_oids" in some declarations??

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr