Re: A plan to improve error messages with context, hint

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A plan to improve error messages with context, hint
Date: 2004-03-05 08:21:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > (2) Does someone has any comment about these problems or
> > the way I intend to try to address them?
>
> About the implementation idea with hints. I'm not sure will be so easy to
> implement as you suggested. Maybe if one add hints to every construct,
> and set to empty hint where it does not make sense.

Sure.

> What I'm afraid of is to get hints or advices that are plain wrong.
> CREATE TABLE foo (bar int key);
> HINT: table name expected
> or something.

Sure, I agree with you.

> But if it works good in practice, why not having hints.

I agree that the actual validation is whether the result looks good,
and are most of the time useful.

> stmt: CREATE TABLE ( anything ); { generate error "missing table name" }

Yes, that's an idea, but it would change the syntax definition, and
may create conflicts, so it's an harder way to do it.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr