Re: Tablespaces

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-03-03 04:46:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > Actually, I think that's a pretty good idea :-). I'd solves a bunch of
> > issues in the backend (postmaster start up can recurse through
> > $PGDATA/tablespaces looking for postmaster.pid files) and will also assist
> > admins with complex configurations (perhaps).
>
> Why are you asking about postmaster.pid files. That file goes in the
> top level /data directory, no?

I was trying to be paranoid about users who have multiple postmasters on
the same machine and want to share a table space while both systems are
live. There'd be no mechanism to test for that situation if we didn't have
something like a postmaster.pid file. Is this being a little too paranoid?

Gavin