Re: ShmemAlloc errors

From: Holger Marzen <holger(at)marzen(dot)de>
To: Nick Burrett <nick(at)dsvr(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ShmemAlloc errors
Date: 2003-10-19 17:08:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Nick Burrett wrote:

> > It would be worth revisiting this and trying to understand where the
> > performance problem is, rather than just assuming that you have to work
> > around it.
>
> Luckily my CVS tree has such information. Basically this database holds
> samples of the number of bytes transferred in a five minute period for 3
> months for 3000 servers. The data is used for billing purposes which
> work on bytes transferred in a month, so things like RRD and MRTG are
> not suitable. Five minute data is useful for spotting unusual traffic
> patterns such that you might get from DoS attacks.

I use PostgreSQL for counting network traffic, I use a sample every five
minutes. Because my queries became too slow I simply added another table
that holds the data per day. Every day, yesterday's data get added,
inserted into the "day"-table and deleted from the 5-minutes-table. I
don't need the 5 minutes accuracy for all of the data.