Re: version mismatch message

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: version mismatch message
Date: 2003-07-31 09:01:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> I get this in my logs from our backups. I ahve explicitly put -i in
> pg_dumpall. How about we totally suppress this message if -i is supplied,
> because obviously the person knows perfectly well it's proceeding despite
> version mismatch?

I think if we did that, then people would become inclined to use pg_dump
-i automatically. The reason that the version mismatch check exists is
that we *know* that pg_dump is unable to dump a reasonably complex
database from certain versions correctly.

Nonetheless, I think a pg_dump 7.3.2 dumping a 7.3.3 database should not
raise a version mismatch message at all. (In general, pg_dump x.y.z1
ought to be able to dump a server x.y.z2 for any z1 and z2.) Check out
_check_database_version in pg_backup_db.c if you like to fix it.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net