initdb: directory not empty issue

From: Jeffrey Quinn <jquinn(at)cs(dot)usfca(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb: directory not empty issue
Date: 2004-01-28 23:54:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

Don't know if this is a bug or more of a feature request, but here goes:
It would appear that by default initdb refuses to configure a database
within a directory that already contains files/directories. I understand
that this is desirable in most cases.

The problem, however, is that this will fail if I am trying to enable a
separate filesystem as the data location. It's rather annoying to have
to remove a lost+found directory (or other files), init the db, and then
remake lost+found (and restore other files). How about a --force
flag? I reckon if an admin is willing to type out that, s/he can take
the responsibility of the consequences.

And of course: fantastic work on release 7.4, and postgreSQL in general!

Cordially,
Jeff Quinn

Jeffrey Quinn jquinn(at)cs(dot)usfca(dot)edu
Shaman | UNIX Journeyman http://cs.usfca.edu/~jquinn