Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Qs

From: Jon Earle <je_pgsql(at)kronos(dot)honk(dot)org>
To: mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Qs
Date: 2003-05-07 18:33:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

On Wed, 7 May 2003 mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> shudn't "host" lines in pg_hba.conf be in format
> host database user ip mask method
>
> in lines below u missed the user part:
>
> > host all 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 md5
> > host dbname 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 md5

I don't believe so. From the pg_hba.conf docs:

# host
# ----
#
# This record identifies networked hosts that are permitted to connect
# via IP connections.
#
# Format:
#
# host DBNAME IP_ADDRESS ADDRESS_MASK AUTH_TYPE [AUTH_ARGUMENT]

I ended up solving the problem however. With a colleague offering
thoughts, we determined that there is a system table named pg_shadow that
contains the usernames and passwords. Didn't see that in the docs (I was
thinking a file named pg_shadow would be magically created somewhere...).
Next, I'd done two things wrong with the alter user command - first, I put
quotes around the username and password. Apparently, just the password
needs 'em. Next, I omitted the trailing ; and failed to notice the very
subtle change in the command prompt that indicated it was waiting for
input.

Off now to get myself further in trouble with the beast! :) Thanks for
the responses!

Cheers!
Jon

--
Jon Earle

SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/

While it's okay to disagree with your friends and family, childish insults
do not express sovereignty.