problems restoring 7.2.1 dump to 7.3.2

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems restoring 7.2.1 dump to 7.3.2
Date: 2003-04-28 14:45:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

currently I am trying to migrate from postgreSQL 7.2.1 to postgreSQL
7.3.2, although I am not having any difficulties with 7.2.1, it's just for
having the current version to check its new features.

(1) The 7.2.1 dump was done by:

pg_dumpall -D > dumpfile

(2) 7.3.2 was installed, initdb was run and the restore was
started as in the documentation:

psql -d template1 -f dumpfile

The restore process complains about non existing relations, e.g.

---
psql:dumpfile:30: ERROR: Relation "dam" does not exist
psql:dumpfile:38: ERROR: Relation "dam" does not exist
---

and so on. I manually checked the export file and it tries to create views
on that relation, _before_ the relation is created (the CREATE TABLE
statement for the relation "dam" is several hundred lines below the CREATE
VIEW statements on this relation).

Second, it complains about not being able to create TIMESTAMP(16), as it
has to be in the range of 0..6. If I look into the export file, there are
many field definitions reading TIMESTAMP(16), however none of these
TIMESTAMP fields were created with a length parameter of 16 in the
original database, which was dumped.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...