Re: FW: [webmaster] new web site

From: Steve Simms <steve(at)deefs(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, Emily Boyd <emily(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [webmaster] new web site
Date: 2004-12-22 17:15:43
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> I just received the following email from a user. Personnally I don't
> have a problem with the blue, but I have had difficulty with some of the
> light grey text, as well as the font size. After a day of looking at the
> site I eventually upped the font size in FF one notch - something I've
> never needed to do on other sites.
>
> FWIW I'm a little short sighted which doesn't affect my monitor usage,
> and run at 1600x1200 on a 21" monitor, so it's not particularly small.
>
> Anyone else having similar problems? What solutions might work without
> upsetting the design?

I was just considering sending a similar E-Mail. For the documentation, I'm
having to increase the font size by two levels to read it comfortably,
running 1280x1024 on what's probably a 21" monitor. It's Linux, though, so
the font sizes tend to be disproportionately small for many sites, but it's
not a problem I had before on the PG site (I might have occasionally raised
the font size by one notch, but never two).

I did notice the light blue links as being somewhat hard to read,
particularly in the Table of Contents for the documentation where everything
is light blue. Perhaps changing the link color (#009DD1) to match the
header background color (which varies, but it's somewhere around #008BBA)
might be enough, and not disrupt the look of the site?

Regarding the footer overlapping the sidebar, I know Omar has a fix for
that, though when he E-Mailed me to test it, he said he wasn't sure if that
would break other browsers.

Hope this helps,
Steve Simms

--