Re: INDEX_MAX_KEYS too small, need 36 parameters

From: Hans Schou <chlor(at)schou(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INDEX_MAX_KEYS too small, need 36 parameters
Date: 2004-07-30 10:04:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Hans Schou wrote:
> > I needed to have 36 function parameters.
> > PostgreSQL only allows 32.
>
> If you index more than three or four columns you're doing something
> wrong.

Could be.

> Please explain in more detail why a practical application would need
> that many index columns.

I'm taking log-file data from a web-server. First I cut and split the
data with a perl script and I send the data to another machine via the
network. To reduce the traffic I have a stored procedure which get the
splitted data. The stored procedure then does a look-up/create in the
reference tables and stores one record which only contain references
to other tables.

Currently I have used 31 parameters for the most important stuff, and
the last parameter is a text-type which I split inside PLPgsql. You
could say that I then only need one parameter to do it all, but that
would use much more CPU time on the server than it does now (I guess).

My system lay-out:
Apache -> log-file
tail -f log-file | log2sql.pl | psql -h othermachine

'psql' use a lot of CPU time so I might use perl-DBI one day.

/hans
--
Hamletsgade 4 - 201, DK-2200 København N, Phone: +45 3582 9079
Schou Industries ApS http://schou.dk/ CVR: 26 13 44 39