Re: Job queue, how would you implement this?

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Alexis Paul Bertolini <bertolini(at)computer(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Job queue, how would you implement this?
Date: 2006-03-21 14:23:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

O Alexis Paul Bertolini έγραψε στις Mar 21, 2006 :

> Dear all,
>
> I have implemented a job queue table where various apps can add jobs to
> the queue and other daemons then execute them. A basic producer-consumer
> pattern. Each tuple in the queue has the basic info such as job to be
> done, when it should be done, who should do it, a flag marking it completed.
>
> The consumer thus selects from the queue all jobs who scheduled in the
> past (<=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) and are not flagged. Then flags them upon
> succesfull completion.

The consumer runs from the command line? (i.e. user-action driven?)

> I now wish to implement repeating scheduled jobs, like "every 5
> minutes", "every morning at 7.00am" and so on. How could I do this?

I think the traditional UNIX "at" framework could be a good
model (or replacement) of the simpler case,
whereas the traditional UNIX "cron" framework could be a good
model (or replacement) of the latter case.
Your requirements photographically point to the above systems.
Are you running on a UNIX machine?

--
-Achilleus