regular expression search

From: "Pierre A(dot) Fortier" <pfortier(at)uottawa(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: regular expression search
Date: 2005-06-14 16:40:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

I search for particular strings using regular expressions (e.g. where
column ~* $query) through a text data type column which contains notes
(some html code like <b>bold</b> is included).

It works but my question is whether there would be a way to speed up
searches?

From my limited investigation, I see the features "CREATE INDEX" and
"tsearch2" but I'm not clear on how these work, whether they would be
appropriate, and whether there would be a better approach.

I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Pierre