Re: some questions : psql

From: Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>
To: "FERREIRA, William (COFRAMI)" <william(dot)ferreira(at)airbus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some questions : psql
Date: 2005-05-03 14:09:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 3 May 2005, FERREIRA, William (COFRAMI) wrote:

> sorry, i badly explain my second problem (and it make me think about an other question :) )
> what i really want to say is :
> i would like to declare a global variable :

There is one big difference. PostgreSQL don't know global variables. There
is only local variables in stored procedures or local variables of sql
monitor ~ psql. You cannot directly read psql's variables.

> and my new question is :) :
> i wrote a first file :
> \set databaseName 'base1'
> \set createMDXML '/home/toto/MDXML/execCreateMDXML.sql'
> \i :createMDXML
> and in my second file, i need the name af the database but if i wrote this :
> SET search_path TO :databaseName;
> it doesn't work....

I am sorry. I can't help.

create schema fx;
create table fx.foo(i integer);
select * from foo;
ERROR: relation "foo" does not exist
\set sp fx
set search_path to :sp
intra=# \set sp 'fx'
intra=# set search_path to :sp;
SET
Time: 9,349 ms
intra=# select * from foo;
---
(0 rows)

look to /home/toto/MDXML/execCreateMDXML.sql sqlscript. Works really well?

Pavel