Re: tree structure photo gallery date quiery

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>, sad <sad(at)bankir(dot)ru>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tree structure photo gallery date quiery
Date: 2004-11-17 10:00:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

O Oleg Bartunov έγραψε στις Nov 17, 2004 :

> Gary,
>
> if you need really fast solution for you task and dont't afraid
> non-standard soltion, take a look on contrib/ltree module.
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/
>
> Oleg

Oleg how would you compare an ltree solution against a
genealogical approach using intarray??
i.e. store for each node, its path to root,
e.g. path='{4,2,7}'::int4[] where 4 is the id of the father,
2 of the grandfather, and 7 of the root, whereas root has
path is null.
That way we can do really fast queries using ~, have indexes
on level (path length),first (immediate ancestor),last (root)
using C functions that we can easily write and so forth.
I have extensively used this approach with success.
Can you comment on the pros and cons of each? (int[] with intarray vs
ltree).

Thanx
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

-Achilleus