Re: Fixed width rows faster?

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed width rows faster?
Date: 2004-03-07 13:42:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > places is to ensure that the column can be indexed. Postgres, it seems,
> > refuses to insert a string that is longer than some value into an
> > indexed column, and I'll rather have such errors flagged while inserting
>
> Care to provide some details of this? It sure sounds like a bug to
> me, if it's true. I've never run into anything like this, though.

There is a limit of the size of values that can be indexed. I think it's
8k or something (a block I assume). Something for someone with an itch to
fix in the future.

The error however comes when you try to insert the value. Doing a reindex
will not change the length of the value and will always work.

--
/Dennis Björklund