Re: Named arguments in function calls

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Named arguments in function calls
Date: 2004-01-25 21:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, elein wrote:

> Barring any override from the SQL200x standard,
> I would strongly suggest AS, too.

I kind of like AS also now after thinking about it. The only reason for =>
is that oracle used it, nothing else.

As I wrote in another mail, I will check out sql200x.

> > foo (13 as x, 42 as y)

The only question now is if it should be that we call the function with
the variable x AS the value 13, or if we call the function with 13 AS the
variable x. I.e.

foo (13 as x)

or

foo (x as 13)

I don't know if one is more natural then the other in english. To my
swedish ear both sounds as good. I like (x as 13) a little better, but I
don't really care much what way around it will be.

--
/Dennis Björklund