Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql
Date: 2003-11-24 18:48:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus writes:

> > Not at all. I'm just referring to "freshmeat" and "sourcefourge" as web
> > site genre names. We need a "slashdot" as well.
>
> Do we? This is one thing I hadn't heard demand for ... it would certainly be
> easy to implement.

I would like to see it as a replacement of the news listing on the front
page. In my opinion, the front page should anwer elementary questions
such as "Who are we?", "Why are we on your screen?", "What is the latest
release?" (compare debian.org, kde.org). Items such as "Beta 3 of plPHP
released" should really go somewhere else. The feedback aspect of
"slashdot" would be interesting in many cases as well, but it might also
get out of hand.

Another area that this would cover is news syndication. How many times do
you see something like "Foo Magazine Article mentions PostgreSQL" posted
to a mailing list? This could be summarized there.

Then finally, provide an RSS feed so people can read the headlines from
anywhere (including Slashdot!).

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net