Re: UW 713UP3 patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UW 713UP3 patch
Date: 2003-11-02 21:26:40
Lists: pgsql-patches

Larry Rosenman writes:

> Since peter objects to my methods, what is an ACCEPTABLE way to detect
> the 7.1.3UP3 compiler?

One POSSIBLE way to do this properly is to write a test that

1) Uses $CC, $CFLAGS, and related variables rather than hardcoding 'cc -O'.

2) Names any test files conftest.*, so configure cleans up automatically.

3) Doesn't execute any compiled programs. See the __FAST_MATH__ test for
an example.

However, I still think that we should not bother testing for this.
Considering that the condition first occurred a couple of months ago and
is already fixed, this isn't a big issue. Think about what would happen
if we had to develop and maintain fixes for every buggy GCC compiler every
released.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net