Re: Unicode upper() bug still present

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unicode upper() bug still present
Date: 2003-10-20 18:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> I noticed by chance that glibc has a "reentrant locale" API that seems
> to allow for efficient access to multiple locales concurrently. Perhaps
> it would be a reasonable solution to support multiple locales only on
> machines that have this library. If we have to write our own locale
> support it's likely to be a long time coming :-(

Naturally, I cannot promise anything, but this is at the top of my list
for the next release. I already have sorted out the specifications and
algorithms and collected locale data for most corners of the world, so
it's just the coding left. Unfortunately, a real, sustainable fix of this
situations requires us to start at the very bottom, namely the character
set conversion interface, then the gettext interface, then the new locale
library, then integrating the per-column granularity into the
parser/planer/executor. So you may be looking at a two-release process.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net