Re: transaction log location

From: Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Marcin Gil <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction log location
Date: 2003-09-25 07:32:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Marcin Gil wrote:

> Have read the docs, tried to look through go(o)gles..
> came up with nothing...
>
> How can I make postgres to store transaction log on a different
> drive?
> Ie. my postgres files reside in /var/lib/pgsql (/dev/hda3)..
> And I'd like to have transaction logs on a /dev/hdb1..
>
> Regards

Once you have your database....

1. Shut it down the database.
2. Move data/pg_xlog and data/pg_clog to another drive.
3. Symlink data/pg_xlog and data/pg_clog to this other drive.
4. Restart the database.

Steps 1 and 4 are the most important!.

One word of warning even though this is a log it can not be used
to see whats happerning or as a method for backup.

Peter Childs