Dumping select tables (omitting tables)

From: Yuji Shinozaki <ys2n(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Dumping select tables (omitting tables)
Date: 2003-09-03 18:11:15
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I would like to dump select tables from a database (omitting some tables).

It looks like pg_dump only allows you to dump the entire database or
select single tables to dump. Is there a way to specify to pg_dump a
list of tables to dump (or to omit)?

I can dump all the desired tables as single dumps, but
dump-many-single-tables approach is troublesome since I want to apply the
indexes at the end to make the restore more efficient (and to avoid
integrity checking until the entire database is restored)

Wouldn't that mean hand-editing the dumps to apply the indexes separately
(or at least last)? Or can I simply concatenate all these single-table
dumps and tell pg_restore to apply the indexes last?

Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki Computer Systems Senior Engineer
ys2n(at)virginia(dot)edu Advanced Technologies Group
(434)924-7171 Information Technology & Communication
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ys2n University of Virginia