deadlock_timeout and pg_ctl reload

From: "A(dot)Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvan(at)symonds(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: deadlock_timeout and pg_ctl reload
Date: 2003-07-21 07:28:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I am using pgsql 7.3.2.

If we change the deadlock_timeout value in postgresql.conf and say pg_ctl
reload, the new value is not taken affect. But any other changes like,
datestyle, log_connection, log_pid, etc are taken affect immediately when
we say pg_ctl reload. When we restart the server, the changed
deadlock_timeout value is taken affect.

Example:

1. In 2 psqls, run the deadlock test case. Deadlock is detected in 1sec.
2. Set deadlock_timeout = 15000 and reload the server.
3. Repeat step 1, deadlock is detected again in 1 sec.
4. Restart the server and repeat step 1, deadlock is detected in around
15secs.

regards,
bhuvaneswaran