Re: Feature freeze and the great elog changeover

From: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and the great elog changeover
Date: 2003-06-25 21:34:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Ignorance on my part, probably. You mentioned elog() so I grepped for it
> and found lots of this stuff:
>
> elog(FATAL, "data directory %s was not found", checkdir)
> elog(FATAL, "could not read permissions of directory %s: %m",
> checkdir);
>
> I am probably just misunderstanding something.

It's taken care of by the gettext system.

One thing that I would like to see in the future (but probably wont for
many years still) is a log file that is saved in a format like

"data directory %s was not found", "/usr/"

where you can view the log with some (gui och command-line) tool that
translates it when you look at it. Then anyone can look at the log using
their language and you don't have to decide one one language when you
start the server.

Maybe something for postgresql X.

--
/Dennis