Re: Thread configure flag

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thread configure flag
Date: 2003-06-16 18:59:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian writes:

> If it is the default, libpq is going to use the libc_r library, at least
> on some platforms, and that may not be desired.

But what is the objective reason for this lack of desire?

> One funny thing is that on BSD/OS and NetBSD, because there are no
> thread compile flags, function names, or libraries, libpq is the same
> code with or without the flag. ecpg, however, has thread calls, and is
> effected on every platform.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the current thread options are overkill and can
be simplified. For instance, on Linux the template currently claims

THREAD_CFLAGS="-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS"

_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS isn't used anywhere in the entire system, the
effect of _THREAD_SAFE is to define _REENTRANT, and the effect of
_REENTRANT is to declare getlogin_r(), which PostgreSQL sources don't use.
In other words, this can be removed.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net