Re: array support patch phase 1 patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: array support patch phase 1 patch
Date: 2003-06-06 14:20:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

Joe Conway writes:

> And if you use "multidimensional", does that mean you also use
> "onedimensional" and "twodimensional", etc.?

No, the analogues would be "unidimensional", "bidimensional", and
"many-dimensional". There difference is that you close up prefixes (which
are not words by themselves), but you hyphenate compounds of independent
words.

> > The function array_subscript() should be removed from code and
> > The function array_assign() should be removed from code and documentation.
> > The function singleton_array() should be removed from code and
>
> I still have an uneasy feeling that there are situations where your only
> option to get this functionality is via a function call.

Once that feeling materializes into a real concern, we can still consider
action. Maybe there will at some point be a need for these functions, but
maybe we will need a similar function with slightly different
functionality, or whatever. Hard to tell as long as we're fantasizing.

> I've heard no one else vote to remove them.

Was there ever a vote to add them?

> > The functions array_prepend() and array_cat() should be removed from the
> > documentation and considered internal implementations of the operator ||.
>
> I disagree with this one. Both array_prepend() and array_cat() have
> valid use in aggregates.

> > The function array_append() should be documented as being equivalent to
> > 'array || element' and specifically intended for user-defined aggregate
> > functions.
>
> That's fine. I would add similar descriptions for array_prepend() and
> array_cat().

Sounds good. My main concern is that people will have a clear view of
what's standard and recommended for which situation, so that support will
be easier and users won't be confronted with a long list of equivalent,
undifferentiated options.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net