Re: Adding Rendezvous support to postmaster

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Chris Campbell <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding Rendezvous support to postmaster
Date: 2003-05-28 21:54:30
Lists: pgsql-patches

Chris Campbell writes:

> If configure can properly set HAVE_RENDEZVOUS, but the feature isn't
> enabled unless a GUC variable is set (and the variable is disabled in
> the default configuration), is that OK?

That isn't the point. But we need configure to produce constant results
for constant inputs, because we cannot expect users to read the configure
or make output to detect whether some optional package was actually
detected.

Then again, there are probably some security implications to this feature,
so an option to turn it off might be useful anyway.

In any case, this patch still needs documentation. At least, provide an
explanation of the configuration parameters you add, plus a paragraph or
three of whatever this feature gives to users.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net