Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_table.sgm ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/create_table.sgm ...
Date: 2003-05-25 22:38:56
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane writes:

> When a TIMESTAMP, TIME, or INTERVAL precision is specified larger than our
> implementation limits, do not issue an ERROR; instead issue a NOTICE and use
> the max supported value. Per pgsql-general discussion of 28-Apr, this is
> needed to allow easy porting from pre-7.3 releases where the limits were
> higher.

I'm not happy with this change. If someone explicitly put in a higher
limit in his old applications, he expressed that he needed it, so he needs
to see an error and adjust his applications. (Or he didn't know what he
was doing, but we don't cater to those people.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net