Re: Postgresql Makefile

From: "A(dot)Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Sumaira Ali - <nat_lazy(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Makefile
Date: 2003-04-28 06:54:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Hi,
>   We are folllowing the installation steps taht came with the postgresql
> code. when we try to do:
> /usr/local/pgslq/bin/initdb -D /us/local/pgsql/data.....
>  it can't find bin as it doesn't get placed in the directory specifed by
> prefix during the configuration . Does anyone know what the problem could
> be?

Did you complete the installation? If you are not sure, read src/INSTALL
for details. If you are sure, forward the steps you have completed.

> Also, when we run "gmake check" , we get this error message :
>
> pg_regress: postmaster did not start
>
> Examine ./log/postmaster.log for the reason.
>
> ./pg_regress: kill: no such process
>
> thank you

You cannot do the regression test until atleast you complete gmake. Please
have the below in mind during regression test:

1. Donot run it as root.
2. Ensure no other postmaster is running on the same machine on same port
3. Set the permissions for the below directories appropriately.
# chmod 766 src/contrib/spi/ -R
# chmod 766 src/test/regress/ -R

regards,
bhuvaneswaran